Compiling Dune Legacy under Windows
We've finally managed to compile Dune Legacy under Windows. Rest assured it was a pain we wouldn't wish anybody to endure again. That's why there are binaries.
- Find them here (Win32).
If you feel you must compile it yourself (maybe to impress your girlfriend or because you like gentoo and love reading compiler messages) here's a short guide for you.
- MS VC++ 2005 Express http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/
- Python Scripting Language http://www.python.org/download/
- Scons Build System http://www.scons.org/download.php
- Libraries - please use the standard builds http://www.libsdl.org/
- used libs: SDL, SDL_mixer, SDL_image, SDL_net, SDL_ttf
- Additional Lib: zlib. Special version is necessary... Grab it from http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=ZEE9A3N6
- SVN Client http://tortoisesvn.sourceforge.net/downloads
- or a commandline tool such as http://www.cygwin.com/
- The modified Dune 2 data (you can get it from http://220.127.116.11/dunelegacy-cvs.tar.gz)
- Or, if the above link doesn't work: http://xrl.us/pa2p
Rumors have it that you can build Dune Legacy with the VC++ GUI. I have no idea how and the solution below works. Should you find out how to actually use the VC++ GUI please consider updating this wiki. Remember that there are incompatibilities between major VC versions. If you're not using VC++ 2005 Express, note so on your guide. If you want to compile quickly, read on.
- Check out the latest source from svn
- svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dunelegacy/trunk dunelegacy
- Unpack the modified Dune 2 data into your dunelegacy folder
- Open MS VC++ 2005 -> Visual Studio Tools -> Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt
- Navigate to your dunelegacy folder
- Type "scons" in your dunelegacy folder
If all goes well it should read:
scons: Reading SConscript files ... scons: done reading SConscript files. scons: Building targets ... Using tempfile c:\dokume~1\zyrill\lokale~1\temp\tmpfck8mn.lnk for command line: link /nologo /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /OUT:dunelegacy.exe /LIBPA[...] link @c:\dokume~1\zyrill\lokale~1\temp\tmpfck8mn.lnk del c:\dokume~1\zyrill\lokale~1\temp\tmpfck8mn.lnk Using tempfile c:\dokume~1\zyrill\lokale~1\temp\tmpzqgb2j.lnk for command line: link /nologo /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /OUT:dunelegacy.exe /LIBPATH:in[...] scons: done building targets.
If you encounter any obstacles you can't tackle yourself rethink if you really need to compile Dune Legacy. Our binaries work on all newer Windows operating systems (2000, XP, Vista) and the builds are up to date. Should you find yourself incapable of restraining from fumbling around in sources and you're completely stuck visit us at irc.freenode.net #dunelegacy. Screw that, visit us anyway - even when you don't get stuck! professional resume